Thursday, February 16, 2012

UNIT 1: FINAL BLOG


                (We completed our half-way blogs only a week ago.  Therefore, I do not have any new comments about where I have come in this unit or about what I have learned.  So, I will just quote my half-way blog on those two issues.)

            Every day we encounter hundreds of different types of genres.  When we come across or even use these different genres, we do not normally think about the type of the genre.  Often we only consider the immediate trajectory that our employed genres will take.  We do not often realize the immense impact that our writing (no matter the type of genre) possesses once it is out of our hands.  A text message may only have one intended recipient.  However, once that text message has left the author’s phone, it has the possibility of being forwarded to others, discussed later in conversations, posted on the internet, etc.   Unit One, English 101, teaches us to consider all these factors, and helps us to more readily be able to recognize different types of genres.

Due to the great impact that a genre that we produce can have, it is important to review our work or have another review it before putting it in others’ hands.  Peer reviews are a great way to get opinions about your work, especially if it has an intended professional trajectory.  That is, if it is a project for school or anything linked to a career or job. 

Peer reviews can be extremely helpful, but many people are not educated in how to conduct a proper peer review.  Many only give too general or downright mean (not constructive criticism) comments, or they make overly gracious comments due to fear of offending the author.  None of these help the author to improve their writing skills.  In order to effectively critique another’s work, one must learn to write constructive comments.  One must have the following things in mind before approaching critiquing another’s work: thought through expectations of peer review (have the mindset of critiquing other’s work in a way that you would want your own work critiqued), have an “open mind to the possibility that I will learn just as much (if not more) from giving my peers feedback on their work as I will from receiving theirs on mine,” and “read like a writer, not like a judge” (approach another’s work by trying to see it from their perspective).  (quotes from “Grassroots”) 

I have also learned in this Unit about how each genre has a typical layout/format and typical criteria.  There are also “rules” that our society has added to different kinds of genres.  A great example of this is the wedding toast that we discussed in class.  The wedding toast has a certain time during the reception that it occurs, it is usually done by a specific group of people in attendance, it is usually spoken –but has thoughts written on notecards to help with the giving of the speech, as well as many other characteristics like these.  Even though there is a standard make-up to each genre and a specific method that is used to send the message (i.e.: phone, computer, speaker, paper, etc.) there can always be exceptions.  Exceptions must have logical and justifiable reasons in why they are straying from the typical method or format.” (My half-way blog)

The “big takeaway” for me will be how I learned how to put together a newspaper article.  I had never written in that genre before, and it was very interesting to me.  I will most likely use this genre of newspaper articles in my future for school newspapers or local newspapers.  I enjoy writing and informing others of topics that are near to my heart.

I do not have any questions from this unit.

I fully understood the concept of making a rubric and how to apply the rubric to create my own example of the genre.  I also understood how to make constructive criticism in peer review sessions.  With the rubric, I did a good job at dissecting all the different parts of visual and grammatical characteristics that made up the genre of newspaper articles.  I feel that I applied the rubric well to my own article.  In peer review sessions, I had helpful comments for my peers.  They appreciated my feedback.

Now, I will justify things about my final draft of my article.  Most online articles have the name of the newspaper at the top of the article followed by a web link.  Since I wrote my own article, I made up my own newspaper name and web link for visual format purposes.  This article’s intended audience is Music Education majors that are still finishing up their degree here at ISU.  Some of the angles presented in the article may make more sense to Music majors than other students.  Since the students in ENG101 are not music majors, I decided to ask people in the major for feedback too.  So, I had a few music majors also read through my article and give me feedback.  The music majors really liked my article and suggested that I make it available for other ISU music majors to read.  One, ENG101, student was confused about was the fact that I discussed general music programs.  He could not see the connection between general music programs and professional orchestras.  But, as all music majors and anyone who has been in a school band program know, the general music programs and middle school band programs are the beginning stages to getting to the professional orchestras.  Without these programs we would not have professional orchestras.  Also, if people are taught to enjoy something at a young age, they are more likely to support it when the get older – even if they are no longer playing an instrument themselves.  It is also important to reach the parents of the children, because the parents can encourage the student to keep growing as a musician.  Making an impression on the parents may give the school band or orchestra program more money which can equal in more opportunities for the school band to perform for the community.  This will then reach more than just the band kids and their families.  That is why I talked to a middle school band director, and why I discuss general music and middle and high school programs.  They are the basis for professional orchestras having performers to be in them as well as the basis for their support from fans.

·         Sources used for information: Grassroots book and class notes, slides, class blog, and my   recent half-way blog.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate your justification of the choices made in your article. It's always nice to see where people are coming from in regards to creating their various article. It's okay to not have too many new thoughts as, for this unit anyways, the first blog was written pretty close to the second unit. However, I think that here is also the point, at least for next time, when you can consider context, etc. in the actual writing of your article. As you sat down to do so, how you did you consider all that you had learning in this class? How did this affect your process? Were there issues? Etc.?

    ReplyDelete